Monday, September 6, 2010

My latest obsession

I am a faddy type of person. I like to have new jobs or hobbies or projects to keep hold of my attention. As soon as it starts to become sort of habitual I tend to move on to a new challenge. It's just how I am.

Combine that with the fact that I'm in nesting mode expecting a new baby and voila, we have a nice, new, productive obsession for me. Making cloth diapers.

It started off with me stumbling upon this free diaper pattern, which is a one size fits all, super adjustable and versatile diaper. And it looked easy enough. And I thought, hey, I could do that. Why not? The fuzzi bunz Turtle is using are so old now, the elastic is shot and stitching is coming loose. They still work, but we have had them since Kaya was a baby...we could use some new dipes for sure. Our kissaluvs were awesome, but didn't hold out for long in the wash. And the applix on the Bum Genius is just no good at all.

So what the heck, I'll try making a diaper. Ok...dust off the sewing machine. Then call on my husband and ask him to teach me how to use the darn thing. I don't sew. I just don't. I've never been any good at it. If a teddy bear rips, the kids ask their Dad to repair it. Me and sewing, we just don't get along. I have no spacial awareness and am way too clumsy.

So then it's a challenge...and I'm in the mood for a challenge.

And now, I showcase my first ever home sewn cloth diaper. Made out of flannel receiving blankets I bought from yard sales for like 10c each. It's extremely messy, clumsy and sad looking. But it's functional. And I made it all by myself!






It's reversible







Because I had so much fun making that one, I decided to cut up an old tshirt and sew it into a diaper







And a couple blankets






Here's a modelling shot of that one


So then I bought some snap pliers and a new pattern and made this diaper out of an old denim looking cotton shirt







Then I came across another pattern I liked better. This is the Darling Diaper Unlimited pattern and it rocks. Yeah...any true hobby end up costing money, right? I made this out of a shirt I bought for 50c at a yard sale, I bought it specifically for making diapers. It's so stretchy and soft.





Microfleece inner. So soft.


So there's my first little stash, super cost effective.



Next I attempted to make a cover.



with leg gussets


And an ooga booga diaper







And a tartan diaper. Och aye. (yes, it's Daddy's favorite)






And then I started on some wittle teensie diapers for wee baby Ally. Broodiness in overdrive.



















I've made some more since then, but haven't uploaded the pics yet. I'm still making tons of mistakes and I have a looooooooong way to go until I'll be good at this sewing palaver. But I'm having a ton of fun and am getting better.

The biggest downside is I haven't dreamed about anything other than making diapers in like 3 weeks. It's getting a bit old by now.

But ya know, it really isn't all that difficult. It's very rewarding, saves money, is good for the environment to use cloth, and it's so much fun to stick a bit of fluff on my baby's bum that I sewed up all by myself.

So that's my latest obsession.




13 comments:

DJ said...

Aww, they're adorable! I especially love the little 'diva made' labels!

Morgan said...

WOW! You've come a long way! They look awesome. :)

Rene said...

the tartan one rocks my world! Diapers have never been so cool....

lady mommy said...

Adorable! Great job! Mom and I are in the cloth diaper making "business" and I am today finishing a dozen worth to be picked up tomorrow. I have been challenged by making covers for preemie size which is incredibly small and very difficult. We also use Rita's Rump Pocket pattern which i think is the most inexpensive way to go. I get flannel sheets from yard sales or on sale at the local fabric store and then we make fleece covers out of fleece blankets bought at yard sales or given to us. My mom is also very knit friendly and knitted Jeffery a few wool covers which are the BEST but a little more difficult to care for.

Don't worry about not being a very good sewer, I myself JUST learned 2 months before Jeffery was born for the purpose of making cloth diapers for him. As I am struggling through this recent set of diapers, I sent my mom a message last night saying "I believe when you conceived me your forgot to pass on your sewing genes to me, that would have helped." Some day I am sure I will get the hang of this, you too. Your diapers look great and feel free to ask any questions or advice, I love to help out any fellow diaper makers :)

Betsy said...

Great job on the diapers! I love all the different fabrics and colors--so fun. I've thought about making some cloth diapers as well but doing a little research is as far as I've gotten. A couple questions: Did you use a waterproof layer on any of them, or do you use covers with all of them? Also, I know the microfleece is good fabric to use, as far as preventing diaper rash, etc. Is the same true of the flannel and some of the other fabrics you used?

Niecey said...

Betsy, I haven't used waterproof (PUL) in any of my diapers, I find it's more economical to use separate covers, since they will last a few changes so I won't need to make as many. So I'm making all fitteds, which means they all need a cover.

I'm also making them as pockets, which I stuff with inserts that are made of absorbent materials like microfiber.

The outer fabric in my diaper, it doesn't really matter what material it is made out of. Unless baby has allergies to poly or anything, the outer of a fitted can be anything really. The inner is gentler on baby's skin if it's cotton. It's also nice to use a wicking fabric for the inner, so a material that will let the pee soak through it nice and fast, where the absorbent insert will then take over. Materials like suedecloth and microfleece have a stay dry feel, so they let the pee through, but keep the baby's bum feeling dry.

If you're making an all in one diaper, you'll want to use PUL on the outside, something like microfleece or microfiber on the inside, and usually a hidden absorbent layer, like bamboo velour or batting or something, and then a sewn in soaker which will have a few layers of flannel/microfiber/bamboo velour etc. That's the super absorbent bit. It's best to make it a sewn in or snap in, otherwise it takes forever to dry.

Michelle M. said...

I am seriously impressed!!!!! They look fantastic.

Betsy said...

Thank you, Niecey! That was very helpful! :)

Laura said...

I've not been on blogland for WAY too long! I had no idea you were expecting - CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diane Rooney said...

Oh Niecey, I just love them. This kind of creativity is fantastic... I love making stuff too. So functional and fun and something special that you made them yourself. More than that, you're enjoying yourself and being creative! Yay! x

christina said...

seriously - you are INCREDIBLE!!!

Doublebanker said...

Wish I'd had run across this a few years ago when I had more use for the fad!

Kathie said...

Niecey, wonderful job! I especially love the bugs cover, how cute!!!

I saw tartan kilts at the ren fest yesterday and thought of you and Rene. :-) Hope you're taking care while your little one is growing!

Kathie