Tuesday, October 12, 2010

My favorite time of day

Yes I'm talking about when the kids go through to bed. But no, I don't mean for obvious reasons (a little peace and quiet!).

My favorite part of the day is sending the kids off to bed. Because it's all about unconditional love. We have this routine, the kids come to me for kisses (usually 5 kisses but sometimes they ask for double) and cuddles and prayers and sometimes I sing their individual songs, or the chorus of them.

For the record, Kaya's song is "Heaven Is Missing An Angel" by 98 degrees.
Lana's is "Baby You Belong" by Faith Hill
Zoe's is "Sweet, sweet baby" by Michelle Featherstone
Turtle's is "The Heart of Life" by John Mayer
And for baby Ally, I've been singing "I Will Not Take My Love Away" by Matt Wertz

So we do their kisses and cuddles, prayers and sometimes songs. And I send them off to the room where Daddy reads them stories 'til they fall asleep. And my favorite part is, no matter what kind of a day we've had, no matter how hormonal I've been, or what kind of ups and downs we've had, we always say the same phrase as they trot off to their bedroom, "Sleep tight, sweet dreams, see you in the morning good night, I love you". And for the next 5 minutes they continue to shout, "I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!" from the bedroom.

How many people, after a hard, emotional, draining day, get to hear 4 sweet, little voices shouting, "I LOVE YOU!!!" for 5 minutes from the room next door? It's always enough to make me smile and remember that I really am loved unconditionally by those kids. And I want to earn it. It's very motivating. And very special. I don't take it for granted.




4 comments:

ARK said...

almost made me cry Niecey :) (ok not almost...there were some tears)

...and I'm totally impressed you can remember the words to that many songs :)

Michelle M. said...

That is really, really sweet. I am also blessed with some amazingly loving children. It just brings so much joy to my life.

lynette355 said...

oh your so so so right .... unconditional love is amazing
now first i want to say thank you for following me over at Crazed Mind!
Next...I was snooping around here.
You can sing all of those songs...wow I do not have the talent for song....I am the reader in my group. Dreads....don't they hurt? I would think the weight would hurt your scalp? Curious?
Making your own very amazing cute diapers...wow....you have etsy yet?
and another one on the way.....your dedicated to the baby process huh? LOL a single kiddo of my own who is now in college, thank God! But I have always been blessed with other kiddos in my life.

SM said...

I am your new follower!

I invite you to check out my "Christmas Cheer" giveaway - Watch, wall decal , toys and much more to come !!