Saturday, June 9, 2012

Help me not fall in love...



....with this little beast we found on our kitchen floor this morning.



In case you're getting judgy - my house has been extremely clean lately. I'm in that nesting stage and my kitchen has never seen cleaner days. But we are out in the country and mice happen. I know there is a population in the garage and I guess the mom came in to make use of our air conditioning or something. Rene found what he thought was the beginnings of a nest in a previously empty drawer in the kitchen this morning. He checked it was empty and then cleared it all out. A few hours later I almost stepped on this wee vermin who was simply splattered out on the floor after a long journey across the kitchen. It looks to be about 4 days old.

We called the wildlife rehabilitators but they said they won't take in baby mice because they have such a low survival rate. She said we could try, but there's not much hope and they require a lot of time and care. I'm sorry but this 8 month pregnant, pro-life, vegetarian mother is not leaving any baby anything to die without giving it a fighting chance, no matter how ugly it's going to be when it's all grow'd up.

So Rene ran out to get kitten formula and I started boiling water (to sterilize equipment) while the kids made a make shift nest. And until it weans or dies it looks like I'll be feeding it every 1-2 hours. Just as well I don't have much of a social life anyway. I guess it's good practice for what we'll be doing soon enough.

And I'm telling myself not to fall in love. But the wee thing latches on to the dropper and puts its little paw up, then buries its head into my hands for warmth and comfort. I'm such a big ball of sentiment right now. I know this is going to end with a broken heart. But I can't help it. Darn it. *Sigh*









Pin It



2 comments:

Cali Eddy said...

Im not sure if my comment went through before, I am having browser trouble. I rescued a baby mouse while I was in high school and mom and I played baby mouse for a few days, making a soft nest from cotton and fed it formula from a dropper. WHile I wains school one day it died and I was heartbroken. Newborn mice are just so cute! Good luck with your baby!

Cali Eddy said...

Im not sure if my comment went through before, I am having browser trouble. I rescued a baby mouse while I was in high school and mom and I played baby mouse for a few days, making a soft nest from cotton and fed it formula from a dropper. WHile I wains school one day it died and I was heartbroken. Newborn mice are just so cute! Good luck with your baby!