Saturday, February 14, 2009

The masala recipe

Sorry I've been an absentee blogger. We all have off weeks, right? I'll endeavor to do better this week.

So here's the recipe for the clean-out-the-crisper-masala. But I just made it up as I went along, and I'm doing my best here to remember so this might not be correct. Experiment with it yourself, and change things up according to taste.




The veggies I used were turnip, eggplant and red pepper. The turnip and red pepper were fantastic in it, but the eggplant wasn't quite right, I'll maybe try this again sometime, but use cauliflower in place of the eggplant. You can use whatever veggies you need to use up.


Veggies (I used turnip, eggplant and red pepper)
oil (I used canola)
1tbsp curry powder
1 1/2 tsp garam masala
1 1/2 tsp cilantro
1/2 tsp dried mango powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp tumeric
1/4 tsp ground coriander seed
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp ground ginger (or you can use fresh, probably better)
1/8 tsp cardamom
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 - 2 cups tomato puree
1/4 cup water
1 small tub soured cream (I bet heavy whipping cream would work out much better, I just used what I had)



DIRECTIONS
Chop up veggies

Saute the turnip in a little oil and 2tbs water, for I guess 15 minutes ish, covered. Then add the other veg, and saute for an additional 5 minutes or so (just eyeball it, don't let the veggies get soggy).

Meanwhile in a small dish or tub, make a paste by mixing about 1-2 tbs oil and all the spices

Add paste to veggies, and stir well, for 2 minutes.

Add the tomato puree and water, stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes

Add cream, stir well and simmer 5 more minutes.

Serve over basmati rice.




I think that's about how I did it.